Monday, October 10, 2005

Monday, 10 October:

The interview went well today. I got a lot of good pointers on how to make my CV sing in a UK market. I am scheduled for a follow up phone interview on Wednesday. In the mean time, it looks like yet one more revision to the CV and I will be sending it out to more companies.

WTF! I came to the UK to try and stop sweating for a change. Sun is nice and all, but I can't stand being hot all the time. So we get here and it is sunny and warm almost every day since we arrived. Today, the temperature is in the mid seventies... Hey that is exactly what the temperature is in San Diego. I know that I will probably be missing all the wonderful weather by the time January gets here, but I thought the difference in latitude would bring about cooler weather. My mom actually laughed when I packed shorts. And I would be in them every day if there wasn't such a stigma against them. Some pubs won't even serve you food if you are wearing shorts or workman's clothes.

It looks like Suzanne and I really are over our colds. No more hacking fits or races to see who can use more tissues. This is a good thing, as we really need to be sharp for job interviews.

The property agents still haven't received the same day wire that was transferred to them on Thursday afternoon San Diego time. This is concerning as we run out of our lease in wonderful Willesden Green on Wednesday. Hopefully it can all get straightened out tomorrow and we can pick up our keys to the new place. Otherwise, we will need to start looking at some temporary accomodations. I hate that today happens to be a bank holiday in the U.S. as it exacerbates my feelings of helplessness. I guess a worst case scenario would be to ask to live with either my Aunt or Uncle in Yorkshire until everything gets straightened out, but I want to know it is taken care of and that is a LOT of money to be floating around in cyberspace somewhere.

Tube thoughts. I absolutely love riding public transportation. Even when it is busy and I have to stand, it beats the frustrations of driving. It is ironic that I have a strong love for cars, but have grown to loathe driving them. I guess 80 miles a day round trip takes its toll after a couple of years. I am fascinated by the diversity I see on the tube every day. There will be asian sarari men standing next to Jamaicans, who will be right next to white like me business men. But the one thing that Suzanne pointed out as a constant is that no one appears to be very happy. I grin like an idiot at the fact that I don't have to drive, and they all look like this is the last place on earth that they want to be. The one exception is the uncontrollable joy that is exhibited by every one who just barely makes it inside the train before the doors close. Every single person who manages this feat looks like they just cheated death.

BTW, I have been using a USB personal firewall and am pretty happy with the results. I would recommend it to anyone who has a laptop, as it is unbelievably plug and play and has been working like a trooper. It works with just about any network and is great if you are surfing on 802 wireless. The only maker I know of is Kensington.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home