Sunday, December 04, 2005

Sunday, 04 December:

Suzanne and I went and saw the most recent installment of the Harry Potter saga tonight. I know a certain niece that probably went absolutely wild at the bathtub scene. The movie itself was well done. I liked it better than the Prisoner of Azkaban, which I though spent far too much time trying to show off the director's eye for scenery. I am very interested in seeing how the next two movies go, as this one is the first to tackle a large book, and the next two books are even longer. A LOT was left out of this movie, including for example, Dobbie. Still it did a great job of capturing most of the book and doing it well.

One particularly good line from the movie comes, as usual, from Dumbledor. He tells Harry that very soon we will have to decide between what is right and what is easy. An incredibly profound statement, that parallels one of Suzanne and I's favorite lines from the book Free the Beagle: "If the next step is easier than the last, you are going in the wrong direction". These are good words for the two of us to hear, as the step to come to London was not an easy one. But I feel that staying in San Diego, doing the same old same old would have been the easy way and would have been the wrong direction for both of us. I miss A LOT of the people we left behind, but I have grown both spiritually and professionally since I have arrived. And I know that Suzanne has found inspiration for her art around every corner. So while we miss the ease of our wonderful Hillcrest apartment and the joy of friends and family, we made the right, not easy decision.

On another note, here's another London observation. My GOD this town has money!!! Suzanne and I have become very accustomed to seeing Bentleys in London (OK, I see them and am accustomed to them and Suzanne is annoyed by how often I point them out). On one walk, we saw 12 different Bentleys in a single walk. That is a V12 vehicle that gets abysmal gas mileage driving around town at around $8.00 a gallon. Today, we went out to lunch with some friends and when leaving the restaurant, saw a Lamborghini driving off. After saying our goodbyes, and walking half a block, we saw a Ferrari drive by. This is not a particularly uncommon sight. I can not believe that I left the land of cars (California) and came to one of the best public transportation cities in the world, and I see more dream cars here.

A week into the job, and so far, I am impressed. I have received more training in the first week on the job here than I have at any job I have held previously. And a large part of the training is ensuring that you understand the company's culture, which is fantastic. The company is very concerned with making sure people fit the culture profile, not just the skill set. I have yet to find out their blogging policy, so will not mention too much other than that I like it. After having been off for two months, I am amazed out how much I was able to fill my time. I spent an average of probably four hours a day looking for work. And I spent a couple of hours going for a walk with Suzanne in the park and visiting free museums, I spent some time reading the newspaper, and shopping for dinner with Suzanne, basically, we did not sit around the house and do nothing. Now that I am working, I find that I missed the peacefulness of a brisk morning walk. And I definitely miss Suzanne. Whoda thunk that after two months of nonstop togetherness, we would miss each other instead of being sick of each other, eh?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home